From my sweet little family to yours. Allow me to re-introduce myself, I am Emily Hudspeth Greenwald, a full time mama and full time freelance artist. As we close out this wild year, I am doing some things to prep for a wildly successful 2016 and I wanted to share with you what I have planned and have you be part of this journey.
I know it is a completely cliche thing to say but I can’t even believe how 2015 flew by. It was truly a blur! Maybe because I started the year by welcoming my new daughter into our home and spent the other 2/3 of the year adjusting to having 2 kids under 2 years old while trying to also keep my business and household in order.
My most sincere apologies for being absent from posting new content for you. I started this website just as I was getting pregnant with my son in 2012. I think I had this unrealistic goal of being able to create this amazing resource for you and keep it going while also trying to grow my family.
Turns out that this season of my life, which is totally amazing and truly the hardest thing I have ever done, hasn’t allowed me to be 100% here, and to be at work as a freelance artist myself and to be present for my family. Since family comes first and my freelance work comes next, there haven’t been enough hours to push this where I want it to go.
Running on little sleep, I’ve had 10,000 ideas with so much good intention but no energy to get it done. After going to the Makeup Show in New York (with my 9 week old baby, I can’t even believe I did that!), I really decided to just slow down and give myself some space to think about how I could do the best work in all of these areas.
Now that I have given myself that time to really sort thru what is important, I am excited to make big things happen in 2016. I want to share 5 tips that have really helped me and a free download to help kickstart your goal setting.
Before I could get started, I needed to clean up the clutter. My mind seriously feels so scattered with a million ideas of things I want to do and jumbled together with the things that I have to do. Its a mess around here! I have started cleaning out stuff, purging my closet, organizing my makeup (personally and in my kit), organizing closets and tossing things that were stuffed in drawers. I can’t tell you how amazing that feels!
For awhile now I had been seeing this book, The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up, popping up everywhere. It seemed like everyone was talking about it! So I downloaded it and have been listening to it for the past 2 weeks and its really got me fired up to clean even more!
Seriously, it is so good. Its got me thinking of other ways to purge things that are cluttered and holding me back, not just around the house. Moving all the clutter out of my way has me totally energized and ready to take on 2016 in a big way. Here are some things I’ve been cleaning out. More than just the overflowing sock and underwear drawer!
- Email I have had a notification in my gmail for weeks saying I needed to free up some space in my email. Because I have my hands so full right now, I ignored it until a few days ago when it said I was officially out of space and would no longer get my email. Uh oh! That prompted me to start deleting old stuff. Friends, I had emails for 2006! There were some serious flashbacks in there that I did not need reminders of!
- Unroll/Unsubscribe There is a fun little tool called unroll.me that is super helpful with email overload. I know you haven’t been getting many emails from me lately but if you are on my list or any other list and the emails are no longer useful to you please unsubscribe! There is no need to keep deleting them over and over again and never opening them. You know I have to pay for the emails that I send you and if you don’t want to open them save yourself time and me money by opting out. Just unsubscribe and if you ever want to revisit, you can always sign up again. Its that easy!
- Your Computer/Phone/Tablet Delete, Delete, Delete! I have a bad habit of letting my phone storage fill up with pictures of my grocery list from my dry erase board or screenshots from things I want to try to remember or something funny to text to a friend. All of the sudden one of my kids does something adorable and there is NO ROOM for another pic! Cut to me frantically deleting texts or dumb pictures that I don’t need. Delete all those texts, pics, downloads and apps that you do not need! Free that space sister! Then your device can run smoothly without being bogged down with the unnecessary crap that is lying around for no reason. Turn off Notifications! Go into Settings and turn off all notifications from your cell. I only have texts and calls set to notify. Everything else is silent so Im not distracted by the constant ding or lit screen.
- Stop TeleMarketing Calls Use 1-888-382-1222 to put your home and cell number on the Do Not Call List. You can also register your number online here. Within 30 days you should not be receiving telemarketer calls and if you do, you can submit a complaint thru the site too.
- Set up Systems This is key to running your business and your home life efficiently. Think of things that you do regularly that you can automate or streamline. When you have a system in place you will not experience the decision fatigue that often comes when sorting thru the mundane day to day tasks. This can be putting your bills on auto pay schedules or using the subscribe and save feature on Amazon Prime so toilet paper and other necessities just show up at your door step without even thinking about it. Some people like a routine for how they will dress or do their makeup so it requires zero energy and thought process as they rush to get to work. One thing that is crucial at our house is planning our weekly meals and preparing them on the weekend ahead. It helps our weeks run so much smoother!
These are 5 things that are helping me clear out some space in my home, office, devices, and brain in order to create some good stuff for you next year. I want to hear how you will use any of these techniques and what you will do with the time it saves you. Do you have any other time saving tips that you want to share with us? Leave us some wisdom in the comments!
Get the free download here! Lets show 2016 who is boss!
Was this helpful? Share it with a friend!